Thursday, October 16, 2008

Japanese Filmfest at Q-Lap Mall


Last night, i represented the SSEAYP International Brunei (BERSATU) for the opening ceremony of the Japanese Film Festival at the Q-Lap Mall. This film festival aims to introduce the various aspects of Japan ranging from the culture, history and people's traditional way of life through 3 films.

I had an opportunity to watch the Twilight Samurai (Tagogare Seibei) last night at the premiere of the festival, , a period drama which was awarded the best foreign language film at the 76th Academy Awards.

The guest of honour attended the launching were YAM Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Wadood Bolkiah and his spouse Pengiran Siti Aminah. Also present was Dato Paduka Haji Hamdillah Haji Abdul Wahab and his spouse.

Synopsis:
Hiroyuki Sanada, who played Ujio in Edward Zwick's Hollywood epic THE LAST SAMURAI, stars in a different kind of samurai film in Yoji Yamada's poignant drama THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI. Sanada plays the title character (Seibei Iguchi), who gets his nickname because he is a lowly worker who chooses to go home to his family every night at twilight instead of going out with his fellow employees or women. Seibei's wife has recently died, so he is raising his two daughters alone, as well as caring for his aging mother. His well-connected uncle believes he should agree to an arranged marriage so he can be more manly, but Seibei is dedicated to living the life he's chosen. But when his married childhood friend, Tomoe (Rie Miyazawa), wants a divorce from her abusive husband (Ren Osugi), Seibei defends her honor and defeats the sword-wielding man with a piece of wood. When Seibei's clan learns of his victory, the leaders command him to kill Zenmon Yogo (Min Tanaka), something that goes against everything he believes in. Based on the stories of Shuuehei Fujisawa and set during the Meiji Restoration of 19th-century Japan, THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI, which was nominated for a 2004 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, is a special kind of movie, loaded with heart and humanity, a very different samurai film that breaks movingly from the traditions of the genre.



Memorable Quote for Tagogare Seibei:

Ito: With a sick wife, two young daughters and an aged mother in his care, my father was unable to drink with his colleagues. He had to hurry home every evening at dusk. I was told the men he worked with gave him the cruel nickname of 'Twilight Seibei'.


Kayano Iguchi: Father, If I learn to do needlework someday I can make kimonos. But what good will book learning ever do me?
Seibei Iguchi: Well, it probably won't ever be as useful as needlework. But you know, book learning gives you the power to think. However the world might change, if you have the power to think you'll always survive somehow. That's true for boys and for girls. All right?
Kayano Iguchi: Yes.


Seibei Iguchi: I am ashamed to say that over many years of hardship with two daughters, a sick wife and an aged mother, I have lost the desire to wield a sword. A serious fight, the killing of a man, requires animal ferocity and calm disregard for one's own life. I have neither of those within me now. Perhaps in a month... alone with the beasts in the hills I could get them back. But tomorrow, I am afraid, is completely impossible.


Zenemon Yogo: So they sent you...
Seibei Iguchi: Zenemon Yogo, by order of the clan, I come for your life. Draw your sword, please.
Zenemon Yogo: [Intoxicated] Have a drink? I know you're all keyed up, but I'm going to run.
Seibei Iguchi: Run?
Zenemon Yogo: Yep. I want you to let me get away. If you please.
Seibei Iguchi: I didn't expect that fromt he clan's best one-sword man. My orders are to kill you. I can't let you escape.
Zenemon Yogo: Don't be so impatient, you can kill me at anytime. I'd like to talk to you. Have a seat. It's a nice day.