1st Definition:
Hari Raya is definitely a season for giving and forgiveness. Children especially looking forward to receive duit raya, money contained in special envelopes from relatives and family friends. As you get older and start working, it is your turn to give out money, which is perfectly fine. It's heartwarming to see the kids gleefully smile when you hand them out their envelopes [but this is not our tradition tough]
2nd Definition:
Hari Raya Aidilfitri marks the end of the Ramadhan month and the beginning of Syawal. Normally 2-3 day before Syawal, my family and I would normally head out to the local cemetery to visit the grave sites of my late maternal grandfather, my grandmother, uncles, aunties and muslimin muslimah.
Hari Raya Aidilfitri marks the end of the Ramadhan month and the beginning of Syawal. Normally 2-3 day before Syawal, my family and I would normally head out to the local cemetery to visit the grave sites of my late maternal grandfather, my grandmother, uncles, aunties and muslimin muslimah.
3rd Definition:
Many will attest that the most challenging parts of puasa, or fasting, is the withholding of food and water intake. For adults, this also means not regularly having that much needed caffeine boost through coffee or missing out much desired inhaling sessions of nicotine through cigarette smoking.
I digress.
I still think that waking up to have the meal of sahur at the balefully early hour of 4 AM to be the most demanding part of the exercise.
I still think that waking up to have the meal of sahur at the balefully early hour of 4 AM to be the most demanding part of the exercise.
4th Definition:
When I was much younger [now still young and dangerous] and fasting was not demanded of me, I enjoyed becoming the kuih taster whenever my sisters and mother went about baking them for the upcoming Hari Raya holidays. However this sometimes meant that you had to test eat the burnt or ugly ones first - the better looking cookies are reserved for guests!
Cookie making is now a dying art, many families of today are too busy to make their own tidbits and prefer to purchase them ready made.
5th Definition:
Hari Raya is also the season where your hand is constantly and literally caught in the cookie jar!
In our family, chocolate chip cookies are definitely the ones that do disappearing acts more often than other kuih types. I'm sure this trend cuts across all families in Brunei.
Chocolate is a fairly ubiquitous flavor.
Additional:
... kanak-kanak dtg beraya tanpa dikenali asal usulnya terus melanggar ke rumah. ditanya mana parents nya... "tu dlm keta"... beri duit $1.. terus balik "terima kasih angkal".. hehe..
.... mendengar lagu Selamat Hari Raya oleh Fazidah Juned, Dendang Perantau by Tan Sri P. Ramlee, Nazam Lebaran + Anugerah Aidil Fitri + Airmata Syawal by Ct Nurhaliza,..............
........ melihat TV... bukan Tv Brunei ---> Tv3, RIA.
....... Peperangan badil...persembahan bunga api
....... frust anak bulan lambat lahir
....... melanggui kasau menunggu pay day
....... apa lagi ah! krg menambah
